- There are nearly 300 species of doves and pigeons in the world.
- 12 species have been documented in Texas.
- The mourning dove and the white-winged dove are the most common species.
- Common domestic pigeons - or rock dove - are not native to North America.
- Doves feed their young "pigeon's" milk, produced from the
lining of the crop. Only doves, pigeons, penguins and flamingos produce
- To drink, doves suck up water in their bills without raising their
heads. Most birds dip their bills and then tip their heads back and
- Medium-sized bird.
- Small head.
- Long, pointed tail.
- Light brown body.
- Tail with white outer edges.
- Size: 23-34 cm (9-13 in)
- Wingspan: 37-45 cm (15-18 in)
- Weight: 86-170 g (3.04-6.0 ounces)
- Sexes similar, but males slightly larger and slightly more colorful,
with bluish crown and pink chest.